Why inbound links?
Inbound Links are a source of targeted traffic. Links from similar themed websites drive relevant traffic interested in your website and the products it offers. Targeted traffic is more apt to convert into a sale. Relevant links also raise your natural search engine rankings. Building incoming links to your website is the most important thing you can do to increase your organic search engine rankings.
Inbound anchor text links are certainly the most important factor that determines the pagerank of a web site or web page. Inbound links became really popular for their contribution to link popularity wich increases the PageRank value of a web site. Inbound links with the right link text and a high page rank will increase your own Pagerank. When Google announced their link based PageRank, having inbound links became an absolute essential step in achieving top rankings in SERPS (search engine results pages).
Basically, the more pages link to your website, the more important your website is, moreover, if the inbound links come from a popular page( with a high page rank), their contribution to your page rank will be higher, this means that a links from a page that has a page rank of 6/10 will weight a lot more tan a link from a page ranking 1/10.
How to get inbound links?
There are many ways to increase the number of inbound links:
- You can submit your website to web directories, some of them are free, and some of them are commission or fee based for example: yahoo directory charges 299$ for inclusion. Among the free directories try to avoid those who ask for a reciprocal link, since these aren't really useful directories and the ratio of your inbound links/outbound links is really important for your page rank
- You can become an active Internet writer or hire someone to do it for you. This means that you need to regularly post on popular forums, submit articles to ezines and article directories, blog... make sure that you're allowed to include spiderable anchor text links, otherwise this is a total waste of time.
- you can also try link exchange, many websites offer link exchange services, you can find organized directories of websites looking for link exchange. be careful though, a lot of automatic link exchange programs come from link farms or free for all links which are spammers that can harm your ranking or even get your website banned from search engines, it is highly recommended that you check the quality of your incoming links, this process can be time consuming and boring but it is necessary.
- You can also buy links. if you do a quick search you will find a lot of websites that want to sell links, or middle-man services such as linkbrokers or textlinkads to manage your links, the price of these links depends on their quality.
- finally you can search for websites related to yours and contact them by email for reciprocal link exchange or find out who's linking to your competitors and try to do the same or better than them. you can find free tools that can help you find that information on linkvendor.com.
- Finally, there are even links for sale by public auction, such as linkadage.com
For more information on a link building campaign feel free to contact me: