The highly anticipated document from the WAA Standards Committee follows its previous release of web analytics definitions, created in 2006, that focused on the three most important metrics across all analytics software and tools – unique visitors, visits/sessions and page views. Once these terms were agreed upon and defined by the industry, the WAA expanded its attention to the many other bedrock metrics that rely on the initial three definitions.
Standards Committee co-chairs Jason Burby, chief analytics and optimization officer for ZAAZ, and Angie Brown, web analytics manager and MD consult for Elsevier Inc., spearheaded this effort within the WAA, and the final document is more than eleven months in the making. In creating these definitions, the Standards Committee has had active participation and debate from a broad spectrum of people representing agencies, consultants, vendors, practitioners and industry thought leaders, resulting in a well-rounded and unbiased resource.
Proving the value of various online channels is increasingly important to marketers and business strategists as more advertising dollars are moving to the Internet, but inconsistencies in the reporting and data from web analytics tools can make them confusing and difficult to interpret. The WAA is encouraging analytics software providers to standardize on these fundamental terms to promote a better overall understanding of web analytics and a strong foundation upon which the industry as a whole can grow and evolve.
“The hard work and dedication from the WAA, the participation from the analytics community and the resulting 26 definitions are truly a sign of the maturity of the industry,” said Avinash Kaushik, WAA board member and author of “Web Analytics: An Hour A Day.” “The market for analytics tools is booming and, with increased interest from all areas of online marketing, these standards benefit both the users and practitioners and will only accelerate the advancement of the analytics industry.”
To learn more about the WAA Standards Committee and to download the WAA Standards Analytics Definitions Volume I, please visit: http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/en/cmt/?5
About the Web Analytics Association
The Web Analytics Association is a not-for-profit professional organization dedicated to promoting the understanding of web analytics through education, advocacy, standards, research and technology. Founded by web analytics industry leaders, the mission of the association is to unite and foster the interests of practitioners, vendors, consultants and educators who use, sell, install, implement, consult, teach or train in the field of web analytics. For more information, or to become a member, please visit http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org.
Here's the article i recently published on ezineArticles
Web Analytics and ROI Tracking
By Eric F Martin
The main goal of a web site is providing information and content to its visitors, but how do you know how many people visited your websites, which pages did they visit, which content is more likely to attract visitors, are there any returning visitors... Usually when you invest time and money optimizing your website, or promoting it, or managing a pay per click campaign, you have to know how effective it was, that way you can decide If it's worth it or not. In fact, every webmaster has to track his online visitors and their behavior.
Web analytics is the measurement of a web site's visitors behavior. It refers to the measurement of the best converting pages, the number of visitors, unique visitors, returning visitors, goals, entry pages, exit pages, geographic localization... in order to determine which pages of the website succeeds and helps you reach your objectives. For example, You need to understand where your traffic comes from, which landing pages encourage people to make a purchase, which affiliate or partner site sends the most converting traffic, which one sends low quality, low converting traffic, which marketing effort generates the best Return On Investment or R.O.I ... thus Web Analytics is critical to improving the measurable results of a marketing campaign in order to improve the return on investment or you are simply wasting your money.
The main advantages of log file analysis are the fact that the data is already logged by your web server. Every transaction is recorded by the web server regardless of the visitors browser, and this data is on your server directly in standard format so you do not rely on a third party server. Another advantage is the fact that log files provides information about visits from search engine spiders, robots, and failed requests which is really important if you want to optimize your website.
Welcome to the March 30, 2007 edition of blog promotion carnival. A carnival about promoting with blogs
eric martin presents
Best blog promotion techniques posted at
saying, "best blog promotion techniques in 2007 by synerjy's ceo Eric Martin"
Big Blog Directory a blog directory of blogs.
Sam presents SEO Insider Secrets for Search Engine Optimization | Surfer Sam
posted at Surfer Sam and Friends.
Java Crazy presents Put Icon On Your Jar FIle
posted at Java Crazy.
John Wesley presents George Orwell’s 5 Rules for Effective Writing posted at Pick the Brain.
Sagar Satapathy presents Top 25 Credit Card Bloggers posted at Credit Card Lowdown.
Benjamin Yoskovitz presents The Best Headlines Are Not Just Written For Google or Digg posted at Instigator Blog
saying, A reminder that writing headlines for blog posts is about writing for people - even if your goal is great search engine placement and lots of traffic from digg.
Lead Optimize presents Make Your Website a Tool for Everyone posted at Lead Optimize.com
saying, "Making your site a tool for everyone in your company will help it gain traction and support across the board."
Sudhanshu presents Entrepreneurship and 300 posted at Gyaan Sutra
saying, "This post is about what I learned about entrepreneurship from the movie '300'"
Daryl W.T. Lau presents Tracking Your Keywords and BackLinks posted at How To Earn Money Blogging
John presents Top Four Key Issues - You Need To Consider When Choosing Keywords For Your Domain
posted at OhCash.com
saying, "One of the biggest mistakes many people make is to not do the research to identify the actual keywords your customers are actually searching on. In fact I have found that often what a client thinks their customers are using to search for their products is totally different to what their clients actually search on."
Money Online presents Affiliate marketing for bloggers posted at Money Online.
Wendy Piersall presents
Elite Retreat Roundup posted at eMoms at Home, saying, "A roundup post discussing the recent Elite Retreat, with links to six other reports on the presenters at the conference."
Laura Young presents The Dragon Slayer's Guide to Life: Social Networking: Trolling for Friends? posted at Dragon Slayer
saying, "Second article in a series encouraging appropriate use of social networks as a marketing tool. The comments following the article contain fine points as well."
Lifuchi Kalechi presents
Make Money Online With Your Website Or BlogList posted at
Make Money Online With Your Website Or BlogList.
That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of
blog promotion carnival
using our carnival submission form.
Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.
You can join this carnival by following this link.
You can add your post to this carnival as long as it explores blog promotion techniques, by following this link
Optimize your blog pages
- Quality content consistently: You can spend a lot of money (or time) trying to promote your blog, either using pay per click, or buying traffic, but remember all the marketing in the world is useless if you have poor content. Blog Promotion starts with great content.When updated regularly, good content is the best promotion you can do for your blog. This can be a tedious task, especially in the beginning, but don't give up. Without content your blog will sink in an ocean of useless information. You can write the content your self or pay for it: you can buy articles or hire a ghost writer, we will explore thes options later.
- Target your niche: You have to become an expert on something, you need to specialize in one field. Each blog needs to target a special niche either technical, artistic, social, politics or sports you need to focus on your niche. You need to become an expert of the niche you are targeting, so continue to read and write consistently, and you will see that bloggers will find you, recommend your blog on their posts, bookmark you, it is the best way to get noticed, linked to and cross promoted.
- Design is really important : First impressions count, your design is the first thing readers will notice about your blog, that's why you have to take your design seriously. Don't use a template or theme unaltered. You need to break away from the blogging masses. So if you don't want to buy a custom design you will have to edit your templates yourself. You need to tweak your css files and your images or have a web programmer do it for you.
- Optimize your blog for the search engines: It is recommended that you have your own domain name, host your own blogging software like wordpress which is free and open source. You also need to change your settings to enable permalinks, or seo friendly urls, install a meta tags creation module to edit your meta tags. Enable ping and track back in order to notify the search engines when you publish a new post.
- Manage your rss feeds: Rss feeds are the best way to syndicate your content on other sites or rss readers like google reader or yahoo... You need to help your readers find your RSS feeds, so make it visible, you can get a big subscribe widget on your sidebar. You will also need to publish full feeds and not only abstracts, don't be afraid of content scrapers. Full feeds will increase your feed subscribers. Try third party services like feedburner that allow you so syndicate your content, track how many subscribers you have, usually subscribers rarely unsubscribe.
- Interviews: try to interview some specialist in your niche or some newsworthy individuals, this can generate traffic to your blog through the link in their blogs or websites, since people will tend to link back to their interviews. Even better, manage to get interviewed. If you have done something newsworthy you can mange to get interviewed.
- Get the scoop: You will need to find fresh news either online or offline, and then you will need to be among the first people talking about it, which will increase your chances to be picked up by others and even by authority news channels.
- Offer contests: Contests will enhance your readers participation to your blog and can create a buzz in your niche category. Try to offer simple contests and keep your readers informed, try also to interview the contest winners or make them leave testimonials.
- Press Releases: Use press releases to announce your new accomplishments (that are interesting for other to read), Particularly if you have something unique, useful, important to say. A simple search will find several press release services providers, some of them are free.
- Choose the right keywords: Avoid popular keywords since the competition can be very hard in certain niches, you can use a free service called Hit Tail to find the right keywords you should target. Keywords with good search volumes and low competition will bring much more traffic than popular keywords.
- Manage your comments: You need to enable comments on every post, moderate them to avoid blogspammers, and also answer your comments either on your comments sections or even offblog. Treat each comment poster as a potential subscriber or future friend or contact.
- Backlinks and trackbacks: Manage to include relevant outbound links in your posts to high linking blogs or authority web sites, many blogs have trackbacks enabled and will have a link back to your post in their comments or posts. Everybody wants to know who is linking to them.
- Connect with other bloggers: Networking is really important, interact with other bloggers, read and comment theirs posts, add the most relevant blogs to your blogroll it increases your chances to get linked back. Request interviews, partnerships keep promoting your blog in your niche. Build a relevant network for your blog.
- MyBlogLog MyBlogLog — is a powerful tool for bloggers that enables you to build a free community. In order to achieve this, you need to be an active member on MyBlogLog. Get the widget that displays who visited your blog, enhance your profile, join communities, add other bloggers as friends, join their blogs communities, visit their blogs, send messages, comments... You need to build your own blog community, increase the number of friends or readers, and generate traffic.
- Facebook: It is a very popular social network. It can generate a lot of traffic. It is similar to other social networks, it allows you to find old friends, join communities, edit your profile, your preferences, manage events... But you can also import your rss feeds from your blogs, which is an amazing feature, since all your connections can read your posts, and visit your blog, and it also means that your will have links to your posts on a popular highly visited and well ranked website.
- Helium: Helium is a new site that is actively looking for people to contribute in different categories. If you are a successful writer and have a special interest or knowledge that isn’t yet published on Helium you might want to contact them; Helium pays you for the content you provide them and allows you to link back your blog in your profile page, so you can benefit from an extra visibility.
- Yahoo Answers! on Yahoo Answers you can answer questions that other people are posting. Yahoo uses a no follow tag for the urls it publishes, so the links will not help you increase your page rank. But it will certainly generate traffic to your pages if well used. Do not try to promote your pages on it, you should try to answer the questions in a clear way.
- MySpace: Myspace is by far the most popular networking website, but it addresses a certain clientele. Build your profile, add friends, Add comments in friend’s profiles which Builds page views to your profile which Increases friend requests you get. Once you have a decent amount of friend’s, you can post a bulletin that goes to all of them, This needs to be interesting otherwise it will be ignored.
- Squidoo : Participate in the Squidoo community. Squidoo has a lot of traffic, and you could funnel and redirect traffic by including links On a given related topic to your blog
- Digg / Netscape / Reddit / Stumble upon: Are social bookmarking sites you need to get noticed on. You can read my previous post on social bookmarking sites here.
- Meet real people: Find other local bloggers. And meet them, you can use services like Meetup.com to organize meetings in your area. It is actually the best way to make friends that share your interests, and potentially lead to a partnership, Bring a business card, and if you don't have one, what are you waiting for?
- virtual groups: join virtual groups like Yahoo Groups, Google groups, Usenet, and more; participate in conversations, interact with others, be friendly and helpful.
- Cross promotion: Once you managed to build a good community you can start cross promoting, you can kindly remind them to promote your posts or Digg them ...
- Join a blog carnival: to blog about a topic, then each blog in the carnival gets promoted. Here’s an index of blog carnivals.
- Join blog networks: like 9rules, b5media, and others, there is networking potential, income potential, and quality incoming links for you.
- Join forums: Forums are an easy way to not only connect with other individuals, but an opportunity to demonstrate your expertise and a link back to your blog
- Join Blogburst: Blogburst is a type of “blog network”, which syndicates content across American newspaper’s websites, such as USA Today and Reuters.
- Submit to blog directories: So people can find your blog.
- Submit to article directories: You can submit your favourite posts to article directories. The article might get picked up in a ezine or another blog, leading to more traffic and more inbound links.
- PPC campaigns you can use adwords, Overture or other PPC engines if you want fast targeted traffic, but it can be expensive depending on your niche keywords. You can also try to buy bulk or targeted traffic but it is usually poor non converting traffic.
All these Techniques combined together will certainly help you promote your blog, feel free to comment them, or to share other techniques you experienced so we can all benefit from knowledge sharing.
And I'm still wondering if this can work from an seo point of view, since google loves blogs, it will certainly create a buzz for a couple of months, since it is an easy way to increase your web visibility and by the same way the number of incoming links to your website. But is it ethical to pay people to post positive reviews about your products?
From a blogger point of view this is an intriguing feature: you can now make money when posting to your blog, but you loose your freedom of speech, and this practice will certainly undermine the whole blogosphere. Think about it: if this kind of service spreads all over the net, bloggers will lose their credibility, and search engines will get aware of this issue and stop loving blog ;)
I would be glad to know what you fellow bloggers think about this issue?
Depending on the quality of your content the social bookmarking sites can generate a lot of traffic to your blog but it is not targeted trafic, I personnaly noticed huge trafic spikes on my blogs after submitting to this kind of sites.
If you manage to deliver popular content your blog will stay on top and benefit from a lot more traffic which can help you build a successful web presence. But if you deliver low quality content your blog will be buried very fast. Provide high quality content and you may find yourself getting bombarded with traffic.
I even heard that some blackhat seos use this as a technique to create instant internet buzz effect. Mainly they pay freelancers in india to create multiple user accounts on these sites and keep voting and pinging the pages they want to promote. But i don't think the whole process is worth it since all the traffic you can gather isn't targeted, so it won't really be useful when it comes to converting it into sales or opt in mailing lists ...
Here's a list of the major social bookmarking sites i have compiled, you will need to register to all of them before you can submit your pages. If you know any other sites feel free to mention it in the comments and i will add them to the list.
- Feed Me Links
- Google Notebook
- Yahoo My Web 2.0
The result of all this data manipulation is a pipe you can use as a single rss feed. For example, It allows you track all the restaurants in a certain location, or all blogs talking about a certain topic, or merge news feeds and sort them... You can share a pipe or clone someone else's pipe.
- Data Sources
- User Inputs
- My Pipes
The result is a pipe with a unique url that you can share or keep private.
With it's unique simple web interface yahoo pipes is a great tool. I tried it, to construct a simple seo resources pipe you can find at this adress: Seo resources pipe
Offpage optimization is mainly having links pointing to your site. it is by far the most important aspect when increasing your pagerank. For offpage optimization, You must have links pointing to your website. You can write articles and submit them to article directories and ezines. Don't forget to Include a link to your website in the body text of your article. Before submitting your articles, make sure they are well written, and that they will eventually make the reader follow the link to your website... don't throw agressive sales messages, try to provide valuable information instead.
Do not copy content from other articles, this can harm your ranking
The process of writing and posting articles can be time consuming, besides the fact that not everybody likes writing. you can hire someone to write content for you, or buy exclusive targeted and optimized content on freelance website like elance.com.
Professional writers who submit a huge amount of articles every day usually use some software or a fee based web service to automate the process. A quick search on google will find dozens of such software or service providers. Don't be fooled by Article Submitting Software that claims to have thousands of sites to list your articles to! These are spammers They will have you submitting articles where they are not wanted and many of them even post a link back to their software right in your articles that you submit.
Here's a list of article directories where you can submit your articles for free:
Amazines - http://www.amazines.com/ - PR4
Article Alley - http://www.articlealley.com/ - PR5
Article City - http://www.articlecity.com/ - PR6
Rolista Articles - http://articles.rolista.com/ - PR4
Article Emporium - http://www.article-emporium.com/ - PR4
Articles Factory - http://www.articlesfactory.com/ - PR5
Article Finders - http://www.articlefinders.com/ - PR5
ArticleSubmissions.com - http://www.articlesubmissions.com/ - PR3
ArticleWarehouse - http://www.articlewarehouse.com/ - PR4
AuthorConnection.com - http://www.authorconnection.com/ - PR5
Business Know-How - http://www.businessknowhow.com/ - pr6
BusinessToolchest.com - http://www.businesstoolchest.com/ - pr3
Buzzle.com - http://www.buzzle.com/ - PR6
Common Connections - http://www.commonconnections.com/ - PR3
Connectionteam.com - http://www.connectionteam.com/ - PR3
Constant Content - http://www.constant-content.com/ - PR6
Createonlinebusiness.com - http://www.createonlinebusiness.com/ - PR3
Digital Women.com - www.digital-women.com/submitarticle.htm - PR5
Ezine Articles - http://www.ezinearticles.com/ - PR7
Article Gems -http://www.article-gems.com/-PR3
Family-Content.com - www.family-content.com/articles - PR4
Free Content - www.certificate.net/wwio - PR5
FreeTrafficTip.com - http://www.freetraffictip.com/ - PR4
FreeZineSite.com - http://www.freezinesite.com/ - PR2
Fresh-Articles.com - http://www.fresh-articles.com/ - PR3
GoArticles.com - http://www.goarticles.com/ - PR6
Home-Business-Directory.com - http://www.home-business-directory.com/ - PR3
Home Based-business Opportunities - http://www.home-based-/
business-opportunities.com - pr5
Home business Tips Newsletter - http://www.home-business-tips-newsletter.com/ - PR3
HowToAdvice.com - http://www.howtoadvice.com/ - PR4
IdeaMarketers.com - http://www.ideamarketers.com/ - PR5
isnare.com - http://www.isnare.com/ PR5
Jogena's - http://www.jogena.com/ - PR4
jorbins.com - http://www.jorbins.com/ - PR5
Li'l Engine - http://www.lilengine.com/ - PR7
LinkSnoop.com - http://www.linksnoop.com/ - PR3
Main Street Mom - http://www.mainstreetmom.com/ - PR5
Marketing PitBull - http://www.marketingpitbull.com/ - PR2
NetterWeb.com - http://www.netterweb.com/ - PR4
OpportunityUpdate.com - OpportunityUpdate.com - PR3
Organic-Rankings.com - http://www.organic-rankings.com/ - PR3
PromoteNewz.com - http://www.promotenewz.com/ -PR4
PromotionWorld.com/articles.html - http://www.promotionworld.com/ -PR4
Sales Masters World - http://www.sales-masters-world.com/ - PR5
SearchWarp.com - http://www.searchwarp.com/ -PR4
SmartAds.info - www.smartads.info/articles - PR4
StoreBuilder.co.uk - http://www.storebuilder.co.uk/ - PR4
T & I Grafix - www.tigrafix.com/articles.htm - PR3
TheEzine.net - http://www.theezine.net/ - PR4
Top-Web-Marketing.com - www.top-web-marketing.com/article - PR3
Web Host Industry Review - www.thewhir.com/find/articlecentral - PR5
UniTerra.com - uniterra.com -PR3
upromote.com - http://www.upromote.com/ - PR3
The Warrior Forum - www.warriorforum.com/forum - PR4
Web Host Industry Review - www.thewhir.com/find/articlecentral - PR5
WebMomz.com - http://www.webmomz.com/ - PR3
WebProNews.com - http://www.webpronews.com/ - PR7
WebsiteFuel.com - http://www.websitefuel.com/ - PR3
website-promotion-ranking-services.com - http://www.website-promotion-rankin...com/article.htm - PR4
Web-Source.net - http://www.web-source.net/ -PR6
Womans-Net - womans-netnews.com - PR4
WorkAtHomeArticles.net - http://www.workathomearticles.net/ -PR3
Work-at-Home-Jobs-Iowa.com - http://www.work-at-home-jobs-iowa.com/ -PR3
Work911.com - http://www.work911.com/ - PR4
Xongoo.com - http://www.xongoo.com/ - PR6
zinos.com - http://www.zinos.com/ -PR6
You can use this list to build the submission list in your article submission software, or to submit artciles manually, you will need to register to all these sites.
I hope this article was useful for you.